- By calcoastwebdesign
- 0 Comments
- 10 Jun 2010
Can you Digg it?!
Use this Digg Tutorial to read more about what Digg is and what it means for your business online.
- What is Digg?
- Why Cal Coast Web Design Uses Digg
- Creating a Digg Account
- Customizing Your Digg Account
- Adding Friends to Your Account
- Submitting A Link To Digg
Digg is a place for people to discover and share content from anywhere on the web. From the biggest online destinations to the most obscure blog, Digg surfaces the best stuff as voted on by our users. You won’t find editors at Digg — we’re here to provide a place where people can
collectively determine the value of content and we’re changing the way people consume information online… For more information on what Digg is please click here.
Why Cal Coast Web Design Uses Digg
Digg is a great way to get back links and more traffic to your blog, articles or press releases. As you have already learned getting quality back links can help a website get better rankings and help saturate the internet with the main keywords our clients are focusing on. Submitting our blogs, articles and press releases to Digg helps get the word out there about our business.
Creating a Digg Account
- Visit www.digg.com
Quick Tip: Digg does not work very well using IE, please use Firefox or Google Chrome to get the full Digg experience.
- On top nav click, Join Digg
- Type in email, username, password, birthday
- Click Submit
- You will receive a verification email sent to the email address you signed up with. Please click on link provided in email to confirm your account.
Customizing Your Digg Account
- Log into your Digg Account with UN and PW you created in the beginning
- Click Profile
- Edit your About section by clicking Add a Bio & Links on the right hand side below About tab
- Fill out the fields with your personal information
NOTE: Remember this is your personal digg account have fun with it, tell other Diggers about yourself, your interests, about your family, whatever you want to share.
- Add links to your favorite web sites or your personal blog.
- Add photos by clicking change profile image, upload up to 25 photos
- Be sure to select “Change Icon” as well to ensure that you have a profile picture as well. It does not auto select one of the images you previously uploaded. Profiles with pics get clicked on more often than those without and are required.
- You can also customize topics you are interested in (in the “About Me & Links” or “Settings” section of your digg account).
I would leave everything checked off so you can see all topics.
- Save all changes you make.
Adding Friends to Your Account
- Log into your Digg Account
- Under your “Friends” Tab on the right hand side click “Add Friends”
- You have the option to Invite your own friends or you can search for friends already on Digg.
- Another way to add friends is by searching for a specific category Example: real estate, fashion, entertainment etc.
- Up top on the right hand corner of digg site in search box, type in the category you would like to search for Example: real estate
- You will see results to everything that has been Dugg related to your category. Below each one is the user who actually Dugg it. Right click and open that profile in a new tab.
- Click “Add Friend” Quick
Tip: Since you are using Firefox or Chrome you can open many profiles in a new tab, I would suggest opening 6-7 at a time so you can quickly click add friend for each one and move on. This is going to help you add friends quickly and save you a lot of time.
- We highly suggest you spent time at least once a month at 15 minutes adding new friends. You should be able to get about 20 friends in 15 minutes if you follow the quick tip above.
- Log into your Digg Account
- Up top Click Submit New
- Enter the URL (please make sure it is the exact URL of the blog post and not just the
main page of the blog)
- Choose the correct category, News, Images, Video
- Click “Continue.”
- Next you will add a Title and Description
Quick Tip: You can use the title of the blog post as is and take a few sentences from the 1st paragraph of the blog post. If you do not think it describes it well enough then make up your own description.
- Choose Your Topic, use your best judgment on the topic it should fall under. If you are submitting something about photography then you would use Arts & Culture, if its real estate then use Business.
- Type in the verification code
- Click Submit Story
- Next step is making sure it has not been submitted before, glance through the list provided by Digg and if you do not see it listed there go ahead and click “Totally Original I Swear” button.
- Next you need to share it with your friends by clicking Share
- Type in a message to your friends telling them why they should read it.
- Check off Shout To All
- Click the Shout Button
- Close out the screen once your share confirmation is received.
- Last item is making a comment, (you should be returned to the posting screen where commenting is available below). Please type in a comment about the blog post and why you liked it or why it was useful, also include a link back to your web site, you cannot link text but you can use http://www.mysite.com.
Quick Note: Please make sure this is cleaver and doesn’t sound like spam, we do not want it to sound like an advertisement, we want it to be useful information for other readers.